About the Treatment
Laparoscopic Nephrectomy is the procedure performed to remove the kidney through a keyhole using a telescope.
- Kidney disease
- Kidney cancer
- Physical exam
- EKG (electrocardiogram)
- CBC (complete blood count)
- Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (blood chemistry profile)
- Do not eat or drink anything the night before the surgery and
- One bottle of Magnesium Citrate is usually recommended for consumptions an evening before the surgery
- Consume only clear fluids for a 24-hour period before the surgery
- After general anesthesia, three small incisions will be made in the abdomen to insert laparoscope and instruments for operating.
- The surgeon will dissect the kidney.
- The dissected kidney will be removed from the abdomen through the extension of one of the incision.
- All the incisions will be closed and secured with a gauge bandage.
- Time taken for the procedure may be between 3 to 4 hours depending on the patient condition.
- A stay of around two days in the hospital can be expected.
- Incentive Spirometry: Patient needs to do a simple breathing exercise to prevent respiratory infection.
- Coughing has to be done to prevent pneumonia and other pulmonary complications.
- Patients are advised to take good walks.
- Prolonged relaxation by sitting or lying in the bed is suggested to be avoided.
- Climbing stairs can be pursued but should be progressed slowly.
- Driving should be avoided for at least 1- 2 weeks after surgery.
- No heavy lifting or heavy exercising.
- Diagnostic tests should be done annually.
- Constipation/Gas Cramps
® Copyright 2016 Relihealth All Right Reserved Powered by
- 24X7 Helpline Number : +91-9810990001