A detailed medical history of the patient will be asked for and every minute detail will be recorded by the doctor. Besides, if the patient is on any medication currently the same should be informed, and allergic reaction or side effects to a particular medication should also be mentioned clearly. Further, if the patient is consuming any dietary supplements or consumes tobacco and alcohol, it should be informed before the procedure.
A list of tests shall be carried out such as:
- Medications (To check the level of existing medication in the patient’s body)
Besides, following shall be asked to consider before the procedure:
- The possibility of blood loss is there in this procedure.
- Stop smoking or use of any tobacco.
- Consent of the patient will be required for this procedure. Please read the form carefully before signing and ensure to ask every minute question that comes to mind.
Further, make sure to arrange proper transportation, keep a reliable person who can stand besides the patient throughout the procedure to assist carefully whenever required, arrange all sorts of groceries for at least ten days, listen vigilantly and strictly adhere to the instruction of the physician.
Following are the complications that might happen after a PELD:
- Inadequate decompression (This shall lead to a second operation, which will involve a different technique)
- Injury due to the thermal effect of the laser
- Nerve damage (Due to improper placement)